Ernest Macpherson Robertson

M, b. 23 March 1887, d. 5 November 1889
FatherMacpherson Robertson b. 6 Sep 1859, d. 20 Aug 1945
MotherElizabeth Alice Hedington b. 1862, d. 1932
     Ernest Macpherson Robertson was born on 23 March 1887 at Fitzroy, Victoria.
Ernest Macpherson Robertson died on 5 November 1889 at Napier Street, Fitzroy, Victoria, at age 2.

Mary Jane Carter1

F, b. 28 August 1829
FatherCharles Carter1 d. 1875
MotherThomaszinna Matthews1 d. 3 Nov 1889
     Mary Jane Carter was baptized on 28 August 1829 at Hobart, Tasmania.1


  1. [S77] Pioneer Index Tas , Reg Tas No: 3058/1829.

Eliza Carter1

F, b. 29 January 1831
FatherCharles Carter1 d. 1875
MotherThomaszinna Matthews1 d. 3 Nov 1889
     Eliza Carter was baptized on 29 January 1831 at Green Ponds, Tasmania.1


  1. [S77] Pioneer Index Tas , Reg Tas No: 4127/1831.

Charles Henry Mackin

M, b. 1889, d. 7 May 1918
     Charles Henry Mackin was born in 1889 at Mt Egerton, Victoria.
Charles Henrey Mackin was the soldier friend of George Hull (Frost) who wrote to George's parents explaining that he had been killed.
Charles Henry Mackin died on 7 May 1918 at France.

Mabel Blanche Gibson

F, b. 29 July 1878, d. 1948
MotherHannah Taylor b. 13 Oct 1838, d. 9 May 1911
     Mabel Blanche Gibson was born on 29 July 1878 at Campbell Town, Tasmania.
Mabel Blanche Gibson died in 1948.

Fank William Gibson

M, b. 22 July 1863, d. 1913
MotherHannah Taylor b. 13 Oct 1838, d. 9 May 1911
     Fank William Gibson was born on 22 July 1863 at Launceston, Tasmania.
Fank William Gibson died in 1913.

Norman Stewart Gibson

M, b. 10 February 1865, d. 1911
MotherHannah Taylor b. 13 Oct 1838, d. 9 May 1911
     Norman Stewart Gibson was born on 10 February 1865 at Campbell Town, Tasmania.
Norman Stewart Gibson died in 1911.

Harold Gibson

M, b. 6 August 1872, d. 1958
MotherHannah Taylor b. 13 Oct 1838, d. 9 May 1911
     Harold Gibson was born on 6 August 1872 at Campbell Town, Tasmania.
Harold Gibson died in 1958.

Ida Jessie Gibson

F, b. 9 August 1874
MotherHannah Taylor b. 13 Oct 1838, d. 9 May 1911
     Ida Jessie Gibson was born on 9 August 1874 at Campbell Town, Tasmania.

George Taylor

M, b. 1863, d. 1926
FatherAndrew Gatenby Taylor b. 30 Sep 1836, d. 1866
     George Taylor was born in 1863.
George Taylor died in 1926.

Eliza Jack

F, b. 1784, d. 5 August 1859
     Eliza Jack was born in 1784. She was baptized on 21 October 1784 at Glasgow, Scotland. She was baptized as Betty. As of 26 November 1804,her married name was Forlong.
Eliza Jack married John Forlong on 26 November 1804 at Scotland.
Eliza Jack died on 5 August 1859. Her obituary reads as: Forlong, Eliza (1784–1859)
by Mary S. Ramsay
This article was published in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Supplementary Volume, (MUP), 2005

Eliza Forlong (1784-1859), pastoralist, was baptized as Betty on 21 October 1784 at Glasgow, Scotland, daughter of Alexander Jack, teacher, and his wife Jean, née Mackinnon. On 26 November 1804 Eliza married John Forlonge (Forlong or Furlong), a Glasgow merchant. Although she bore at least six children, by the mid-1820s consumption had reduced the family to two sons William and Andrew. Farming in a warmer climate appeared desirable.
Aware that fine wool from merino sheep in the German kingdom of Saxony was bringing the highest prices, the Forlongs went to Leipzig to study methods of sheep rearing and wool preparation. Their expertise was enhanced by the use of an instrument to measure wool. In 1828-30 Eliza walked through Saxony buying sheep. She identified each animal for later collection and drove them to Hamburg for shipping to Britain. She selected the sheep that came to Australia with William in the Clansman in 1829 as well as those accompanying the Templeton and Forlonge families in the Czar in 1831. Eliza also visited Rambouillet in France.
In January 1831 Eliza, John and Andrew joined William in Van Diemen's Land at Kenilworth, near Campbell Town. They built sheep houses in the Saxon style, wells, a farmhouse and outbuildings. Never content with the size and situation of their land grants, the family conducted an 'epistolary war' with colonial officials, and in April 1834, in an attempt to influence English authorities, Eliza, her husband and younger son went back in the Norval to Britain. John died there in November 1834.
Mrs Forlonge soon returned to Van Diemen's Land where she found that William planned a move to the Port Phillip District. They sold Kenilworth and part of their flock in 1838 to the Taylor family. Eliza made further voyages to Scotland (in 1840 and 1844) and assisted bounty emigrants. After some years squatting, Andrew moved to the United States of America. Eliza lived with William and his family at Woodstock, Merri Creek, near Whittlesea. They moved to Euroa in 1853 and eventually settled at Seven Creeks station. Eliza ran the house and managed station affairs in the frequent absences of William and his wife.
William Howitt described her as 'one of the pleasantest and most energetic ladies I have ever met with', but Nancy Adams portrayed her unfavourably in the novel Saxon Sheep (Melbourne, 1961). Sally Wilde claimed that her actions suggested 'a strong willed, not to say positively eccentric, woman'. Although Eliza's pioneering and managerial skills were outstanding, it was her ability to select sheep that was special. David Taylor of Winton and T. and S. Learmonth of Ercildoun(e), Victoria, founded their studs on the Forlonges' Saxon merinos, which were greatly sought after by breeders of fine-woolled sheep.
Eliza died on 5 August 1859. A memorial, in the shape of a wool bale, stands near her grave at Euroa. Other memorials include a sundial at the new Kenilworth house and a mural by Tom Thompson at TAFE Sydney Institute, Ultimo.


John Forlong d. Nov 1834

John Forlong

M, d. November 1834
     John Forlong was also known as John FORLONGE or John FURLONG.
John Forlong married Eliza Jack on 26 November 1804 at Scotland. John Forlong immigrated in January 1831 to Kenilworth, Campbell Town, Tasmania. He was with his wife and son Andrew. They had brought the remained of their sheep, arriving aboard the Czar, to join their son William who had arrived two years previously with their first flock of sheep. They established their farm known as "Kenilworth" in the Saxon Style.
John Forlong died in November 1834 at England, United Kingdom.


Eliza Jack b. 1784, d. 5 Aug 1859

William Forlong

M, b. 1811, d. 15 September 1890
FatherJohn Forlong d. Nov 1834
MotherEliza Jack b. 1784, d. 5 Aug 1859
     William Forlong was born in 1811 at Scotland. He arrived in 1829 to Tasmania; He was on board the "Clansman" along with some of the sheep selected by his mother. He was the first of the family to arrive in Australia. His obituary reads as:
Forlonge, William (1811–1890)
by Nancy Adams
This article was published in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 1, (MUP), 1966

William Forlonge (1811-1890), pastoralist and politician, was born in Scotland, the son of John Forlong (1783-1834), a Glasgow merchant, and his wife Eliza. The family descended from the Huguenot Comtes de Forlonge who fled their vast estates in Languedoc after the edict of Nantes was revoked. His grandfather was Rev. James Forlong of Rutherglen, Scotland, and his aunt Janet (1785-1857) married Andrew Templeton, the manager of the Paisley Union Bank in Glasgow. His father John Forlong, as a result of correspondence with the Colonial Office and of losing several children from tuberculosis, decided that his two surviving sons, William (1811-1890) and Andrew (1816-1895), should prepare to become woolgrowers in New South Wales. With financial assistance from his brother-in-law, he sent his wife and sons in 1826 to Leipzig, where William worked for three years in a woolsorting house. In 1828 John joined his family and lived for months with shepherds in order to study husbandry at first hand. Meanwhile his wife visited the leading studs on foot and selected ninety-eight Saxon sheep which she and her sons drove from Leipzig to Hamburg and, after shipment, from Hull to Liverpool, whence William sailed with the flock in the Clansman for Sydney. Twenty-two sheep died on the voyage, and in November 1829 when he arrived at Hobart Town, he decided to stay. Claiming goods worth £150 and his sheep, he applied for a free land grant, only to discover that as a minor he was not eligible. To Lieutenant-Governor (Sir) George Arthur, however, this legal objection was less important than pure-bred sheep, and William was granted 1500 acres (607 ha) near Campbell Town and a reserve of another 1000 acres (405 ha) if he imported more capital. In spite of later claims by the family, Arthur was to deny strenuously to the Colonial Office that he had 'pressed Mr William Forlong to remain in Van Diemen's Land'.
Andrew Templeton died on 21 August 1829 and his widow Janet decided to emigrate to Australia. She sent John Forlong and his wife to Leipzig to buy her some Saxon sheep. She chartered the Czar and, with her nine young children, John and Eliza Forlong, their son Andrew, several servants and the sheep, left Greenock in August 1830. Next January they arrived at Launceston where Eliza and Andrew disembarked with forty of the sheep. The rest of the party and flock reached Sydney in February. Later in 1831 Janet Templeton received a land grant, Kelburn, on the Mulwaree Plains near Goulburn, where she built a house and depastured her sheep.
After seeing his sister settled, John Forlong returned to Van Diemen's Land where he was granted 2500 acres (1012 ha) adjoining William's land and built a house, Kenilworth. Dissatisfied with the site and size of his grant, he importuned the local land board and the Colonial Office for more land. One special grievance was that Andrew, although only 14 on arrival at Launceston, had been refused a grant. When petitions failed, John Forlong decided to go to England with his wife and Andrew to press his claim in person. Soon after reaching London, he died in November 1834. From Kenilworth his sons took up his plea and petitioned Downing Street for further grants; Lord Glenelg referred the long memorial to Hobart where the Executive Council rejected their application.
After some years at Kelburn, Mrs Templeton built Roseneath cottage at Parramatta. In 1838 she and her sons, John and James, overlanded from Goulburn to Euroa where she took up Seven Creeks. Between this station, Parramatta and Goulburn, she divided her time until 1843 when she sold Seven Creeks and went to the Riverina. She sold Roseneath, lost Kelburn in 1845, and finally settled in Melbourne where she died on 15 January 1857. She was buried in St Kilda cemetery. Of her daughters the eldest, Agnes, founded the Grange School for boys in South Yarra, Christina married William Fancourt Mitchell, and Marion married her cousin William Forlonge at Parramatta in 1837. In 1878 her youngest son William founded the Trustees Executors & Agency Co. Ltd in Australia and became its managing director.
William and Andrew Forlonge crossed to Port Phillip in 1838. With headquarters at Werribee, Andrew helped his brother who speculated heavily in sheep and stations. Like their aunt and many others they were hit by drought and depression in the 1840s. They severed their Tasmanian connexion in 1842 by selling Kenilworth to the Taylors and taking sheep in payment. Both brothers were soon insolvent. Andrew went to America where he prospered and never returned to Australia. William recovered from his losses and became a very wealthy pastoralist with many stations in Victoria. In 1851 William bought Seven Creeks at Euroa where he built a large house and lived, except when visiting England whither his wife had taken the children for schooling.
In 1854-56 William Forlonge represented Villiers and Heytesbury in the Victorian Legislative Council. He became spokesman for the extremist squatters who demanded their alleged rights under the 1847 Order in Council. He deplored the gold rush and the radicals who wanted to break the squatters' monopoly of land. In 1854-55 as a member of the commission on the tenure of waste lands of the crown, he nearly disrupted proceedings by his insistent demands and refused to sign the report because he thought it a biased document designed by known enemies of the pastoral interests. In 1858 he was elected for Murray to the Victorian Legislative Assembly but resigned after a year. He moved to New South Wales and acquired pastoral leases in the Riverina and around Wellington. In 1864 he represented Orange in the New South Wales Legislative Assembly. Through speculation in gold shares he went bankrupt a second time in 1867 and many of his stations were held by the Bank of Australia. Within eight years he recovered all his holdings. He died at Dubbo on 15 September 1890.1
William Forlong died on 15 September 1890 at Dubbo, New South Wales.


  1. [S99] Text , Nancy Adams, 'Forlonge, William (1811–1890)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University,…, accessed 3 February 2014.

Andrew Forlong

M, b. 1816, d. 1895
FatherJohn Forlong d. Nov 1834
MotherEliza Jack b. 1784, d. 5 Aug 1859
     Andrew Forlong was born in 1816 at Scotland.
Andrew Forlong died in 1895.

Mary Buist

F, b. 11 November 1824
FatherArthur Buist b. 1798, d. 14 Dec 1837
MotherChristian Taylor b. 24 May 1798, d. 5 Dec 1895
     Mary Buist was baptized on 11 November 1824 at Launceston, Tasmania.

Rachael Buist

F, b. 25 July 1828, d. 15 July 1906
FatherArthur Buist b. 1798, d. 14 Dec 1837
MotherChristian Taylor b. 24 May 1798, d. 5 Dec 1895
     Her married name was Gibson. Rachael Buist was born on 25 July 1828 at Campbell Town, Tasmania.
Rachael Buist died on 15 July 1906 at Campbell Town, Tasmania, at age 77.



Jane Gibson

F, b. circa 1856
MotherRachael Buist b. 25 Jul 1828, d. 15 Jul 1906
     Jane Gibson was born circa 1856 at Tasmania. As of 14 August 1879,her married name was Taylor.1
Jane Gibson married James Taylor, son of Robert Taylor Snr and Margaret Stewart, on 14 August 1879 at Belle Vue, Epping, Campbell Town, Tasmania.1


James Taylor b. 5 Jul 1843, d. 18 Nov 1926


  1. [S340] From databases on-line.

Isabel Buist

F, b. circa 1830, d. 1917
FatherArthur Buist b. 1798, d. 14 Dec 1837
MotherChristian Taylor b. 24 May 1798, d. 5 Dec 1895
     Isabel Buist was born circa 1830. As of 11 July 1854,her married name was Bayles.
Isabel Buist died in 1917 at Armadale, Victoria.



Norman Bayles

M, b. 1866, d. 1946
MotherIsabel Buist b. c 1830, d. 1917
     Norman Bayles was born in 1866 at Prahran, Victoria.
Norman Bayles died in 1946 at Toorak, Melbourne.

Ada Bayles

F, b. circa 1862, d. 1939
MotherIsabel Buist b. c 1830, d. 1917
     Ada Bayles was born circa 1862.
Ada Bayles died in 1939 at Toorak, Melbourne.

William James Bayles

M, b. 1859, d. 1940
MotherIsabel Buist b. c 1830, d. 1917
     William James Bayles was born in 1859 at East Melbourne, Victoria.
William James Bayles died in 1940 at East Melbourne, Victoria.