the Baptist Chapel, Pembroke Street, Devonport, Devon, England
The Pembroke Street Baptist Chapel was the second Baptist Chapel to be built in the district after the one in Plymouth. It was erected in 1781 on what were known as Liberty Fields. This was where the men working in the Royal Dockyard used to hold their meetings to air grievances.
Its first pastor was the Reverend Isaiah Birt, who had previously led the Plymouth congregation.
The Chapel remained in use until the Second World War, after which it was cleared away under a redevelopment scheme. The Baptist Association decided to replace it with a new building on one of Plymouth's post-war housing estates and so in 1958 Crownhill Baptist Chapel was opened with the pulpit and organ from the Pembroke Street building.